Friday, January 09, 2004

Back in the Saddle Again

Sarah (Poppins Classical Academy) created a questionnaire for today.
Here are my responses to her questions:


Best Resource on your shelf you *don't* use:
The Annals of America-we are not in this time period right now.

Favorite Resource:
The Well-Trained Mind

Least Favorite Resource(that you use often):
Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary. It's just too big.

Resource that you wish you hadn't spent good money on:
The Annals of America

3 Resources which you OWN that you'd take if you had to homeschool on a desert island:
The Well-Educated Mind, The Bible, can I bring some Diet Dr. Pepper instead of a third book?

Resource you most wish was on your shelf right now:
A Child's History of Art by Hillyer

Best Homeschooling Memory:
Reading Little Women and Tom Sawyer to all three kids. Going to Williamsburg and Washington DC for the world's best field trip!

Part of homeschooling you're best at:
Choosing reading material and encouraging my children.

Part of homeschooling you're worst at:
Higher Math!!!

_____________________________________________

My yarn arrived yesterday, so I am knitting away on my felted bag. (Check sidebar for photos of similar bags). This is an extremely easy pattern. I encourage you to try it! The only thing I have not heard of is an i-cord. If I can't figure it out by trial and error I will head over to the Sow's Ear (our local knitting shoppe) and ask them to show me how to do it.

The yarn is not as bright as I imagined it would be but it feels nice and it is fun to watch the stripes develop as I knit along.
Emma (14) likes the colors and I am trying to get her to make one also. We shall see how persuasive I can be. She has knitted many a scarf and I know she can handle this project. Perhaps I will force her to do it :o) I will put it on her schedule...hey that's the ticket...forced knitting. I have been know to say, "If you're just going to be sitting there watching TV, you might as well knit!"

________________________


YUM


This is a delicious salad. They sell something like it at deli's...but this is better. It comes from
Cooking from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams. I have altered her recipe by adding cauliflower for some variety.

Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad

1 bunch broccoli
1 head cauliflower
10 slices bacon
1/3 cup raisins
1 large red onion
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds

Chop up broccoli and cauliflower. (Eight cups all together.) Fry bacon and set aside. Chop onion. Combine broccoli, cauliflower, onion, raisins and bacon. Whisk together mayo, sugar, vinegar, and pepper.
Pour dressing over vegetables. Refrigerate. Top with sunflower seeds.

Hope you like it!

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.