Thursday, February 26, 2004

I lift up my heart.

"O Thou Creator of all things that are,
I lift up my heart in gratitude to Thee
for this days happiness:

For the mere joy of living:
For all the sights and sounds around me:
For the sweet peace of the country and the pleasant bustle of the town.
For all things bright and beautiful and gay:
For friendship and good company:
For work to perform and the skill and strength to perform it:
For a time to play when the day's work was done,
and for health and a glad heart to enjoy it.

Yet let me never think, O eternal Father, that I am here to stay.
Let me still remember that I am a stranger and pilgrim on the earth...

I thank Thee, O Lord, that Thou hast so set eternity within my heart
that no earthly thing can ever satisfy me wholly...

And above all I thank Thee for the sure hope and promise
of an endless life which Thou hast given me in the glorious gospel
of Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen."

-Prayer by John Baille from A Dairy of Private Prayer.

____________

How easy it is to forget that life on this earth is temporary. That the life we live here is not the reward.
I love life...Eternity is so hard to even imagine. But it is a promise I believe in.

There have also been days when I have pleaded with God to "Take me now" and to "Come back soon."

Very rare these days are...Yes, very rare...

Sometimes when I watch the news I am reminded that I am a "stranger and pilgrim on the earth."

" Thou hast so set eternity within my heart
that no earthly thing can ever satisfy me wholly..."

Slowly...I learn and learn again how 'no earthly thing can satisfy me wholly.'

The Lord is my Shepard!

_____________




Which of course brings me to...The Jerk...

" Navin R. Johnson: Well I'm gonna to go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this...

[picks up an ashtray]

and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray.

And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need.

And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need.

And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball.

And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure.

And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair."

Too funny:o)

For the mere joy of living,
Donna













No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.