Wednesday, January 12, 2005

What to make?

Do you children ask you throughout the day, 'what's for dinner?'.
I have one son who might not say anything to me all day except, 'What's for dinner?'
Well, I guess that is not really true. But if he were a State and he had a motto, that would be it!

Yesterday I just couldn't think of what to make that did not consist of noodles or ground beef ( or as I like to call it hamburger meat).

So Matthew and I sat and played Jeopardy from 4:30-5:00.
I won.
The answer to final Jeopardy was 1066. (I happened to have a book sitting to my left, that I just picked up at the library for Emma called 1066 by David Howarth.)
And when Alec asked 'In what year did England have three Kings?', I pointed to the little, unread book at my side and said, 'I'll bet this is one of the years.'

I was right and none of the other contestants got it :o)
Pays to homeschool.
Well, ha, pays when you are playing Jeopardy at home against your son.
hahaha

When Jeopardy ends, Matthew says, 'What's for dinner?'
Hummmmm....

Me:How about some potato soup? Do you like it with the bacon?

Matthew:Yes, that's the best part.

Me:Ok, you run to the store and get some bacon, I'll start the soup.


Potato Soup

6 potatoes
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1 carrot (shredded)
1/2 onion (chopped)
2 c. water
2 cubes chicken bouillon
salt, pepper
2 c. milk
1/3 c. flour
cheese (real cheese or 4-8 pieces of American cheese slices)
bacon (as much as you like)
a little sour cream on top

Boil veggies in the water until soft with the bouillon. Add 1 2/3 cups of milk and make a paste out of the other 1/3 cup of milk and flour. (I don't always do the flour thickening)
Add cheese and bacon. Heat through.
Sour cream and chopped scallions are yummy plopped and sprinkled on top too.


Yes, I have posted this before (last January) but it is not on my recipe blog yet and lots of you were not reading last January and, well, it is so good and easy, it bears repeating.

Speaking of bears

To hold up; support.
To carry from one place to another; transport.
To carry in the mind; harbor: bear a grudge.
To transmit at large; relate: bearing glad tidings.
To have as a visible characteristic: bore a scar on the left arm.
To have as a quality; exhibit: “A thousand different shapes it bears” (Abraham Cowley).
To carry (oneself) in a specified way; conduct: She bore herself with dignity.
To be accountable for; assume: bearing heavy responsibilities.
To have a tolerance for; endure: couldn't bear his lying.
To call for; warrant: This case bears investigation.
To give birth to: bore six children in five years.
To produce; yield: plants bearing flowers.
To offer; render: I will bear witness to the deed.
To move by or as if by steady pressure; push: “boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past” (F. Scott Fitzgerald).

I wasn't sure if I had spelled it correctly, so I looked it up at www.dictionary.com
and it is spelled bears not bares and well, look at all of those examples.

Who knew :o)

The daft girl bears insults unawares.

Encourage one another,
Donna

I forgot to tell you, we watched Pieces of April last night.
It was a very original movie with interesting characters. The acting is good and the script is very good. It's funny and sad and sweet. We all liked it. (Matthew, Emma and me)

There is one s*xual situation (mostly clothed) and swear words. Always check screenit.com if you are concerned with content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.