Monday, May 23, 2005

Have you read?

Knots on a Counting Rope by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault




"A Native American boy requests his favorite story from his grandfather --- the story of the special night when the boy came into the world. Though he was born blind, the boy has learned from his grandfather many ways to see without needing his eyes. Each time Grandfather tells the boy's tale, he adds another knot to the counting rope. Once the rope is full, the boy will know the wonderful story by heart, able to tell it himself."


This book has so much about it that I love.

Storytelling, family, overcoming adversity, emphasis on remembering, absolutely beautiful illustrations and smooth flow.



Remembering and telling our stories is so important. I come by it naturally. I know some people don't, but it is a 'skill' worth nurturing.

The Bible reminds us to remember often.

My son, keep my words
And treasure my commandments within you.
Keep my commandments and live,
And my teaching as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers;
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
Proverbs 7:1-3

My sister's Janice and Janet would have very few memories of our parents if we didn't share our memories with them.


I believe sharing our stories is one of the most important teaching tools we have as parents.

************

Matthew comes home today. Hip, hip, hooray!


Emma and I coaxed Patrick Sr. to come and play tennis with us last night.
He didn't want to come but once he hit the ball a few times he started to enjoy himself. He is really a good and natural athlete.

There was the most perfect breeze last night. Ahhhhh.

***********

Today is the beginning of the three day Jeopardy Champions Tournament.
Ken Jennings comes back to play two fellow Jeopardy Champions.
(They have been playing games for three months to whittle it down to the two people who would play Kenny)

The winner of the tournament will win 2 million dollars.

I can't wait to see how Ken plays against the very best players.
Will he blow them away?

My guess is yes, Kenny will blow away the competition.

I can't wait!

Go Kenny, go Kenny....

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.