Wednesday, May 18, 2005



Katie and I don't watch The Simpsons but everyone else in the family does. They think it is hysterical. I think it is usually pretty irreverent. "I can't believe they just said that!"

But on Sunday night dh and Emma were watching The Simpsons and came to tell me how funny it was. Homer and Bart wanted to become Catholic. My Catholic husband and Protestant daughter thought it was great! In the five minutes of the show that I saw, Bart said something that I thought was brilliant (and I would, because I'm such a mutt.)

Let's not fight over the stupid little things ... when we have so many stupid big things in common.


It's how I feel...except for the 'stupid' part. :o)

_____________


A friend sent a link to a few excellent articles on the Holy Spirit.
I loved this one and thought I would pass it along. Leithart/Exhortation/Pentecost
The Spirit who is Love enters a fragmented, divided, and confused world, and He comes to bind together what is broken. He comes above all to knit us to Christ. Just as a husband and wife are one flesh, so, Paul says, “the one who joins himself to the Lord is one Spirit” (1 Cor 6). The Spirit comes to join together the members of the church into the body of Christ. The Spirit is the matchmaker who prepares the bride for her eventual union with her husband. The Spirit illumines our minds to see Christ in the Scripture, joining text and heart, and the Spirit joins the word preached to the congregation receiving that word.


What the world needs is a united and thriving church, and what the church needs is a renewal of Pentecost, a fresh burst of the rushing mighty wind of the Spirit.


Well said. Beautifully said Mr. Leithart.

Much better than my Rodney Dangerfield comments.
_____________________

If you have read or are currently reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, what do you think of it? I am only on page 44 and am enjoying it. But can you tell me what all the fuss is about? Is it going somewhere?

From what I heard on Jeopardy yesterday Gilead has won the Pulitzer prize.
I guess I don't know fabulous writing even when I'm reading it.
What makes this book a Pulitzer Prize winner?


Thanks for the fun comments yesterday! Did you know that every comment I get is like a little present to me?

Keep on encouraging one another...you are all so good at it!
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.