Thursday, March 30, 2006

Eating Well....and...Not Eating Well


Yesterday for lunch I made a nutritious updated Mac and Cheese that I spotted in Eating Well magazine. It was not difficult to make and it was pretty tasty.

Emma wanted more cheese flavor. Which I can adjust next time.

I loved adding the broccoli to the water along with the whole wheat noodles.
What a great time saver. (and used one less pan :o)

No-Bake Macaroni & Cheese

8 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles
(2 cups)
1 10 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
1 3/4 cups low-fat milk, divided
3 T. flour
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 t. Dijon mustard

Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add broccoli and continue cooking for about 4-5 more minutes.

Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in another pot. In another bowl whisk; 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Add this mixture to simmering milk.
Let it thicken (about 3 minutes)
Remove from heat and add cheeses and mustard.

Drain pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce.
Warm through.


I'm not sure I used Extra Sharp cheese. But I will next time I make this.

The whole wheat noodles do not taste weird at all.

Not Eating Well

But making the girls happy....


Gooey Butter Cake


This cake has become a favorite for the high school girls around here.
Emma has yet to make it all alone. But I think she should make the next one, don't you?

One package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven 350.
Combine the above ingredients and press into a 9x13 pan.

8 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
16 oz powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, add eggs and vanilla. Add melted butter and and then add the powdered sugar.
Pour this over the cake mixture.

Bake 40-50 minutes.

The center will be gooey.

I bake ours for 40 minutes in a glass cake pan. It does not need to bake any longer than that. I hear glass pans cook faster...and this seems to be the case at our house.


So there you have it.

The good, the bad, and the yummy!


Now that I think of it...tomorrow is Emma's 17th birthday.
It looks like I will be baking the next Gooey Butter Cake!


What is your favorite nutritious meal to make...
And your favorite guilty pleasure to create?


Encourage one another,
Donna

P.s.

A small t. = teaspoon
A capital T. = Tablespoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.