Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Little Earth Stars

To some the dandelion is a weed; but not to me, unless it takes more than its share of space, for I always miss these little earth stars when they are absent. They intensify the sunshine shimmering on the lawn, making one smile involuntarily when seeing them. Moreover, they awaken pleasant memories, for a childhood in which dandelions had no part is a defective experience.

Source: "The Home Acre," by E. P. Roe







To a Dandelion.

Blessings on thy sunny face,
In my heart thou hast a place,
Humble Dandelion!
Forms more lovely are around thee,
Purple violets surround thee,--
But I know thy honest heart
Never felt a moment's smart
At another's good or beauty,--
Ever at thy post of duty,
Smiling on the great and small,
Rich and poor, and wishing all
Health, and happiness, and pleasure,
Oh, thou art a golden treasure!

My Father made this beautiful world and gave me a heart to love his
works. Oh, may I love Him better than all created things!


The little plat of ground around our house is a great field of
instruction and amusement to me. How little do I comprehend of all
contained within it! I am glad I was not born in some great city--
where Nature had not been so kind and dear a friend.

Source: "Canadian Wild Flowers," by Helen M. Johnson.


*******


The difference between children and adults is dandelions.

Children see the bright color, the abundance, the freedom to pick, the ability to share, the necklaces and the butter under chins.

Adults see stains on clothes, odd smells and quickly wilting bouquets in a cup.
Well...and awful, jagged leaves and roots.

But, it's the children's flower.
Little earth stars.

I'm growing fonder of them every minute.


Happy Dandelion pickin' day!


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.