Wednesday, May 09, 2007

First things first.

Joey in the bottom two.

That is an outrage.

And I only have myself to blame.

And you.

We really must start voting.

You can be sure I will use all seven (or whatever it is) votes next Monday.

An outrage, I tell ya.

As Miss Clavel says, "Something is not right."


************




Is that big enough for all to see?

"But my ability to pick something up and read it-which has gone unchecked all my life up until now-is entirely dependent on the whereabouts of my reading glasses. I look around. Why aren't they in this room? I bought six pair of them last week on sale and sprinkled them throughout the house, yet none of them is visible. Where are they?"
~Nora Ephron


That's us.

My sister Nancy told me to watch out.
At 43 my eyes would go.
And they did, just like she said.

I was told.
'You still have 20/20 vision...
your eyes are just getting old.'

But, as I've said before...I don't mind the glasses so much,
they hide the sagging eyelids.


Really, this book is a hoot and a half.
But don't bother reading it until you are 45.
It's funnier when it is happening to you.

I'm sure to you young ones, it would read like boring Science Fiction.

But I loved this comment about reading and I think we can all nod in agreement to it...

"Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it is a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.
Reading is grist.
Reading is bliss."

~Nora Ephron


And then Nora talks about Lost Food.

Food that once was, and can not be found now.

Do you have a food like that? I do.
I'll tell you about it in a minute.

Nora's lost food was cabbage strudel.
It vanished from Manhattan in 1982.

"Once upon a time I ate quite a lot of cabbage strudel, and then I sort of forgot about it for a while....and I feel bad about it for many reasons, not the least of which is that it never crossed my mind that my beloved cabbage strudel would not be waiting for me when I was ready to remember it again."

~Nora Ephron


Doesn't she have an easy, readable style?
I like it.


So my lost food.

Roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy.
Mostly the gravy.

And actually, I didn't lose it.
It left.

And I promise you. I will stand next to my mother in heaven some day and learn to make that gravy. That perfect dark brown beef gravy.

Cause it is not to be found this side of heaven.

I can almost hear Jesus saying,
"Esther, will you make your roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, tonight?"


Encourage one another...and tell us about your 'lost food',
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.