Monday, August 13, 2007

Would you still be alive?


Last week someone mentioned to me, either at the eye doc or at the frames shop, that years ago, people didn't get glasses. They just lived with blurry vision.

I hadn't really thought about it.

My eyes are blurring.
So I go and get glasses.


But not, say, 200 year ago.

I always think it would be quite lovely to live in another time.

Like Janet Austen's time.

But the reality of it, especially, medically speaking is very very different...and even grim.


Because there would be no reading of books because you couldn't see the pages.
And your hearing would be dim due to childhood ear infections.
And your teeth. It would not be pretty.
And can you imagine the pain of living with a mouthful of rotting teeth?

By fifty. I would be toothless and unable to read the fine print.


But.

I would not be alive at fifty.

I would have died at 32, for sure.
That pesky ruptured appendix.

My husband would have died at 16.
For he had an appendicitis also.

And all of you who have had c-sections.
Would you have made it thru those?

Of course, you can't really take this too far because it all gets too convoluted if you do.

Cause my children wouldn't be here.
I would have different children.
If I had children.
But, if I was married with different children
perhaps my appendix wouldn't have burst.

See what I mean.



And isn't it icky to think of having different children.
It's just too bizarre a thought.
I'm not going to think about that any more.


My main question is;


Would you still be alive?





Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
Bring out your dead.


If you don't like black humor.
You won't like the clip.
So don't watch it.

And one thing about viewing a video.
Click the little arrow at the bottom of the screen.
If you click the big arrow at the middle of the screen you will be sent to YouTube to view the clip.

I hope it works.
And I hope you are not offended.


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.