Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wow! I should ask you all to do stuff more often!!!

Janet's comment boxes were full of delightful, friendly comments all day.

It made me just as happy as it did Janet.

Thank you very much!


The best portion of a good man's life - his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.
~William Wordsworth



A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
~Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"

(that's interesting!)


How far that little candle throws his beams!
So shines a good deed in a weary world.
~William Shakespeare


So shines a good deed in a weary world.

I couldn't love that quote more.



*******

I have an update on the birds that I have been attracting.....

In the beginning, I had purchased the bird seed mix from the grocery store.

Little sparrows visited and I was happy.

Then after you all gave me such fantastic suggestions, I bought some suet.

And then the Grackles came.











The Common Grackle is an opportunistic forager, taking advantage of whatever food sources it can find. It will follow plows for invertebrates and mice, wade into water to catch small fish, and sometimes kill and eat other birds at bird feeders.



They ate like crazy. They ate a block of suet in 24 hours. And they scared the other birdies away.

I shared my sad tale with Amy J's father and Nancy and they said, Oh those Grackle, they are naughty.

Well. They really didn't say that....but Amy's dad, who LOVES his birds, said there was no need to put the suet out in the summer. And change the seed to unshelled sunflowers seeds. The Grackles don't like those and the cardinals do.

That sounded great to me.

So I did just that and what do you know?

The Grackles left in a day. Hooray.

But two weeks passed without any other birds being interested in my bird feeder.

Then yesterday morning, what do I see at my robin's egg blue feeder?

A perfect red cardinal.


With patience comes joy. Or something like that.


And speaking of patience....the hummingbirds have yet to find my yard.

Yoo-hoo, hummingbirds, over here!!!


*********


How is your garden growing?


My garden has sprouted a few wild strawberries.
We have pale purple flowers on the hostas and yellow blossoms on the tomato plants (two).


Those yellow flowers mean tomatoes and talk about patience and joy!!!

I can not wait for my first home grown tomato!!!





What are you waiting for?



Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.