Friday, September 11, 2009

On Sept 11, 2001 we were living in a little cape cod in Madison. We had only been living in Madison for eight months.
Matthew we attending Edgewood high school at the time, he was beginning his junior year. His cousin Bridget stopped by every morning to pick him up for school. It was a perfect day. Bright sunny skies. Cool fresh air.

Emma and Katie and I ate breakfast and I clicked thru channels on the TV. High Society was on The Movie Channel.
I stayed on this channel and watched the lively, delightful musical.

At nine o'clock I switched to ABC to catch the beginning of Regis and Kelly but instead was hit by a horrid sight.
The television showed a tower on fire and the news people were a bit frantic. Within fifteen minutes, the second tower was hit by a plane. It was horrible. The situation changed instantly from an accident to an attack.

Sadness grew into fear.

In our little house in the middle of the Midwest, I felt afraid.

And then the first tower collapsed. It was the most awful thing I have ever seen.
To be a witness to that much pain and loss made me gasp and cry out.

I think our whole country gasped that morning.

I spent the day watching the unfolding horror with a shaky feeling inside.

That evening, I went to church.
We prayed and sang songs of love and peace.
(Our Stephanie lead the worship).

Last night as Harry Connick sang a gentle version of The Star Spangled Banner at the Steelers game, I cried again.
I cried because he wore a suit. He showed the still suffering the respect they deserve.


The most horrible day for our country brought out the best in so many citizens. It is those brave Americans I remember.

I remember the families and the firemen and the priest and the policemen and the New Yorkers and the every day heros.
I remember them because I know their suffering is a million times more than mine.



O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?




Yes. It does still wave.


Free and Brave.


Amen and amen.






Love one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.