Wednesday, October 07, 2009

We need your help.

No one in this house has any idea what this math question is getting at.

We can not help our fourth grader.

21. How could thinking about 300 tens help you find 3,005-1827?

My answer:

It doesn't.

I thought about it and thought about it and got mad at the person who wrote the book for being so obtuse.

I know many of you are more abstract thinkers then myself....

what is the answer to this question?


Oh! By the way. I don't need to waste my time thinking about 300 tens.

I just subtracted

1827 from 3005

answer:1178

Voila

The answer. Gotten the old fashioned way.

Dear Math book writer sitting in a building in Washington dc,

Stop trying so hard.

This is 4th grade math. Not philosophy.
You know nothing of a child's mind and stages of understanding.



With love,

Katie's mom and abstract math flunkie
Donna



DSC_3025-2cr


***

Let's look at some pretty pictures.
Shall we.


DSC_2986-2cr


DSC_3034-2


DSC_3035-2


A fallen leaf is nothing more
than a summers wave good bye

~anon


Love you guys!

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.