Thursday, July 22, 2010

I was reading out loud to Emma yesterday while she sun tanned.
I sat directly under our striped umbrella. I am a delicate flower and do
not sit in the sun. Too hot.

Anyway. She finished The Help and liked it very much.
I gave her my copy of Eat, Pray and Love with the warning that she might as well just read the
Eat part. So she was reading it outside and I wanted to read the Italy part with her.

She was at the most perfect part,
when Elizabeth arrives in Rome.

Besides the food, I love when Elizabeth talks about the Italian Language and how it was chosen.

She says that the Italians chose the most beautiful language that was being spoken anywhere in Italy.
It was the language written in Dante's Divine Comedy.


From the book:

The last line of The Divine Comedy, in which Dante is faced with the vision of God Himself, is a sentiment that is still easily understandable by anyone familiar with so-called modern Italian, Dante writes that God is not merely a blinding vision of glorious light, but that He is most of all,

l'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle...


The love that moves the sun and the other stars."


And then I started to cry at the beautiful words and meaning
and I agreed with Gilbert;
Italian is a very beautiful language.




From Wikipedia:

The Divine Comedy finishes with Dante seeing the Triune God. In a flash of understanding, which he cannot express, Dante finally understands the mystery of Christ's divinity and humanity, and his soul becomes aligned with God's love;


"But already my desire and my will
were being turned like a wheel, all at one speed,
by the Love which moves the sun and the other stars."


Dante capitalized the 'L' in love.

To me, that is important.






DSC_2141-2


Don't you love that about a book.
When one line touches your heart and your soul.

I love that about books.



Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.