Wednesday, July 06, 2011

By the end of the day....we could have a car that is not burning oil and has air conditioning and that does not go by the name of Lurch.

Taking care of cars is expensive.
Buying them. Maintaining them. Filling them with gas. Paying insurance.

I say. Don't get one if you do not have to have one.

I'm not kidding. I'm a bit Amish in my thinking about cars.
(see the book Better Off.)

But it seems I am in the need to have one since we are not walking distance to school and such.
Now if I homeschooled we could get by with just one...but we actually don't even have ONE car that is in good shape.

We have a 97 Honda with 190,000 miles and a 2000 Volvo with 185,000 miles.

I can put up with the lurching, I can put up with the burning oil, and I actually think the car looks just fine...I'm not too fussy...
but I can not put up with the air conditioning not working. To fix it would be more than the car is worth...

So my husband stopped at Honda. We have been happy with our little workhorse known as Civic.
We got in on a financing deal that makes it ridiculous not to buy a car. haha

So ridiculous that they sold all of the Civics. All gone.

We said we needed one before we go to Missouri for the wedding on July 16.
They said, we will see what we can do.


Now car shopping. I'm sorry. It's man's work.
I told my husband, I give birth, you buy the cars.
Too much stress.

I said. Get one with air.

We had many ups and downs and last night when we had to come home and look for the Title....
well....that could have been it...it could have officially been the end of me.....

It was not in Patrick's box of official papers......

But it was in my desk drawer.

I think finding the Title was the last hurdle. I think.

I am to pick it up at 3:00 today.
Sure hope it's not a lemon.

Cause you know....that happened to us once.


A little p.s.
a few years ago someone stole checks from our mailbox,
made checks for themselves and spent a lot of money with our 'name'.
Everything worked out with the police and the bank....
but our credit was ruined.

Last night we learned we have a very good credit score.
That was another one of the worries....would we be able to get the low rate for financing.


I am thankful for that.
thankful, thankful, thankful...


So tell me....who has the oldest car?
Can you beat our 1997 Honda? Oh! You should hear it, it rattles like nothing you have ever heard!
And it's the one we are keeping!

honk, honk, rattle, rattle, rattle, crash, beep, beep.


Still.
Thankful.

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.