Friday, August 05, 2011

What a whirlwind that was!!

At one point Emma said to me, "Are we going to sit in this Starbucks all afternoon."
And I thought, sounds pretty good to me.

It was one of those days when you pull in the driveway and think to yourself,
The start of this day seems miles away....

ha...

and well...it was miles in a way.


Since Emma and I missed the first day of the workshop, I gave Emma a refresher on how to shoot in manual.

She catches on quickly.


DSC_6733-7


DSC_6737-6


At the workshop we worked on portrait shooting, action shooting, landscape and night time shooting.

I learned some good composition rules for the portrait portion.
I learned that action shooting is a whole different thing...and I need to practice...a lot.
For landscape I learned that I'm pretty picky about what I want to shoot and you have to be patient since the park is not your
private studio.
Brian shared his method for his beautiful night time shots. I was very interested to hear his explanation about the longer exposures creating beautiful colors and 'special effects.'
(He also always tries to shoot on the lowest ISO. I usually hover at 400 and he loves to shoot at 100. This was news to me and I am going to experiment with that.)

And it was really cool to hear that he has been working on capturing some very special shots for many, many years.

In this world of 'right now'...he emphasised the beautiful and difficult component...patience.







DSC_6897-8




DSC_6934-6

I wasn't able to duplicate Brian's settings, but I fiddled with my iso and aperture until I got something that looked okay.
It was blurry due to hand shake so I threw it in Photoshop and made it a watercolor with the Artistic Filter.


It was a long and very full day...
and now it's time to get my Iced Chai Latte.


Wishing you a wonderful Friday...


A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains. ~Dutch Proverb


Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virtue. ~Ambrose Bierce


haha...despair...


Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.