Wednesday, July 03, 2013

from 2005....


I was looking for some sweet July poems in my blog archives,
but I found this quote instead.

It's a good one.



1. God was all-complete, all-blessed in Himself; but it was His will to create a world for His glory. He is Almighty, and might have done all things Himself, but it has been His will to bring about His purposes by the beings He has created. We are all created to His glory --- we are created to do His will. I am created to do something or to be something for which no one else is created; I have a place in God's counsels, in God's world, which no one else has; whether I be rich or poor, despised or esteemed by man, God knows me and calls me by my name.

2. God has created me to do Him some definite service; He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission --- I never may know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next. Somehow I am necessary for His purposes, as necessary in my place as an Archangel in his --- if, indeed, I fail, He can raise another, as He could make the stones children of Abraham. Yet I have a part in this great work; I am a link in a chain, a bond of connexion between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good, I shall do His work; I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it, if I do but keep His commandments and serve Him in my calling.

3. Therefore I will trust Him. Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him; in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him; if I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. My sickness, or perplexity, or sorrow may be necessary causes of some great end, which is quite beyond us. He does nothing in vain; He may prolong my life, He may shorten it; He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends, He may throw me among strangers, He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide the future from me --- still He knows what He is about.

O Adonai, O Ruler of Israel, Thou that guidest Joseph like a flock, O Emmanuel, O Sapientia, I give myself to Thee. I trust Thee wholly. Thou art wiser than I --- more loving to me than I myself. Deign to fulfil Thy high purposes in me whatever they be --- work in and through me. I am born to serve Thee, to be Thine, to be Thy instrument. Let me be Thy blind instrument. I ask not to see --- I ask not to know --- I ask simply to be used.

Venerable John Henry Newman


This portion touched me;

"If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him; in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him; if I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. My sickness, or perplexity, or sorrow may be necessary causes of some great end, which is quite beyond us. He does nothing in vain"



Here is the portion I thought might be a blessing for my college boy to hear. (this would be Matthew)

"God has created me to do Him some definite service; He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission --- I never may know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next."


Emma on bike

this is emma in india-2007


Once upon a time....I was really serious on my blog.





Encourage one another,
Donna

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Serious Donna posted some pretty awesome quotes. It must be fun to look back and see how your blogging has evolved.

    Just catching up with yesterday's post, and will add those prayer requests to my list. So thankful for this community of caring people.

    Mary Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malachi had a good report at the doctor yesterday.
      Thank you for praying, Mary.

      Delete
    2. Just checking in - agreeing with Mary that the serious quote was full of awesome content. Beautiful.

      Thanks for the Malachi update. Bless his little heart, glad it was a good visit.

      Delete
  2. Once upon a time I was really serious too, then I remembered what my mom always said "Lighten up, Francis."

    Did you know I can eat Indian food again? Maybe it's time to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this not the coolest picture?

      I did not know that. Remember when Pastor Daniel made Indian food at our house.
      kind of surreal don't you think?

      Delete
    2. And the quote is from what, Emma? I am sure I should know it.

      Di

      Delete
    3. Yes! That was amazing he was there cooking for an evening.

      I don't know where the quote is from... she just says it all the time!

      Delete
    4. I learned that quote from Janet who learned it from her husband Dave. It's from some low brow movie with bill Murray ... Perhaps it's Stripes.

      Delete
  3. I think you have a good mix of the serious with the lighthearted. Thanks for sharing what means something to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tots agree, Southern Gal :-)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved your quotes, today. (I always do, but these struck a chord with me.)

    Now, I'm craving Indian food...
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:12 AM

    Thank you, Miz Boo. I needed this today.

    Sarah P. from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the serious and the light, Donna. And the right intensity always seems to hit the right person at the right time here in the QLCS.

    Your writing voice has always been authentic, Donna. And the ebb and flow of intensity is true to Real Life. We'll call you Donna in Real Life (-:

    My favorite line from the Newman quote: "Somehow I am necessary for His purposes..." I keep trying to remind myself of that. I forget it way too easily.

    Thanks, Donna.

    Love,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:45 PM

      "Donna in Real Life". That's great, Di!!

      So glad to hear Malachi got a good report. Prayers will continue.

      Mary Z

      Delete
  7. Happy to see that Malachi is ok. :)

    Your blog is great just the way it is, Donna. Sometimes fun, sometimes serious. I know it always blesses me!

    Happy 4th everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad Malachi got a good report. I'm here for the first time in 2 weeks or so, and wondered how he was doing. The days are too busy these days to keep up, but every once in a while I get a chance to catch up on your posts. My little Asher is 2 months old now and just had his checkup & shots :( I wonder how many times a day I kiss his head- since he spends probably 6 hours a day on my shoulder, it's just too irresistible! Anyway, thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning on Thursday - popping in to read comments.

    BTW that photo of Emma is SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DONNA

    SO LOVELY. I NEED TO SEND THIS to a friend who is very sad right now.
    THANKS
    Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:54 PM

    Happy 4th of July to all the QLCS folks. Thanks be to God for answered prayer. Beautiful Emma, that is one of my favorite photographs...a living faith in action.
    love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Donna,
    Although I read your blog everyday, I seldom comment. I couldn't pass up today however. This quote really touched me on Thursday after a difficult week. My aunt passed away on Tuesday morning after a long battle with cancer. She was so special to us and I really wanted to write something about her to honor the person she was. The quote above helped me finally break through to exactly what I wanted to say. I'm so thankful I saw it at just the right time. Thank you for posting it!

    My blog post is titled, "Sandy's Mission" and can be seen here: http://julieboyles.com/sandys-mission/ if you would like to read it.

    Thank you again!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Julie. I'm very thankful that the quote helped you in a difficult time.
    Like I say...this is not really my blog after all :o)
    I'm sorry to hear about your dear aunt.
    Love
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you have been ministering so many years on this blog.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.