Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dinner's at Six

Lindsay Letters is one of my favorite calligraphers.
Her script  is lovely and enthusiastic.
Her pieces are modern and happy and cool.


She just added all of her Christmas things to her shop.
You really must go and see!!!

Lindsay Letters

Her pieces range from hymns and Bible verses to Buddy the Elf quotes.

I noticed a quote yesterday that I liked....and then I read more of the quote at the bottom of the page.

"Tell someone you love them, and dinner's at six."

I was intrigued....

Here is the rest from Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist;

"This is what I want you to do:  I want you to tell someone you love them, and dinner's at six.
I want you to throw open your front door and welcome the people you love into the inevitable mess with hugs and laughter.

Gather the people you love around your table and feed them with love and honesty and creativity,
because there will be a day when it all falls apart.

There are things I can't change.  Not one of them.  Can't fix. Can't heal, can't put the broken pieces
back together.  But what I can do is offer myself, wholehearted and present, to walk with the people
I love through the fear and the mess.  That's all any of us can do.  That's what we're here for."

Now if only I could figure out what to cook.






I pinned a few of my favorites!!

Enjoy looking around Lindsay's website!!!


****













14 comments:

  1. Gosh, that quote is amazing. I'm encouraged. I'm convicted. Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And btw, when my kids ask me what time dinner will be ready I always respond "at 6". :) It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Bread and Wine is a terrific book. I love her writing. Love it.

    And having people around my table is my favorite thing. Dim the lights, hide the laundry pile, put out some food and let's go.

    What to fix is always tricky and stressful. So I made separate lists for easy, crowd friendly and fancy meal plans and I just put it on repeat. It's okay if I serve the same thing to people. Most people aren't coming to be impressed, right? And if they are, they will quickly realize that we have something completely different in mind at Chez Wheeler!

    Happy Thursday,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:26 PM

      What a clever idea to have separate lists of recipes!
      Smart Di! {{HUGS}} jep

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Love Lindsay Letters! I have the Buddy the Elf print. And the quote...oh my. So good. Donna, you have no idea how often I am lifted up by your blog. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Love the quote. Over the past few years, since we moved to TN and have lots of company (yay!), I've developed a couple of standard easy go-to dishes. Cassie & Daniel and Daniel's parents are coming this weekend and I asked her if she was tired of my standard company meals. She assured me she is NOT as they both love them. One is Ree's "Best Ever Baby Back Ribs" by the "Other Pam Anderson". Easy, yummy, everyone raves about them. I cook them in the oven. The other is a brisket recipe I got from Taste of Home years ago. After ruining a couple of briskets, I've never failed with this recipe. Take a 3-4 pound brisket (can you buy those in WI?), mix together 1 can of whole berry cranberry sauce, 1 packet of onion soup mix, and 1 bottle of beer or 1 cup of beef broth. Put the brisket on heavy duty foil (I criss cross two pieces under the brisket) and place it in a heavy casserole dish. Pour the cranberry mixture on top and fold the foil over to seal well. Bake at 350 for 4 hours. You cannot taste the cranberries, you just taste this delicious sauce. Oh, one other I've tried a few times and it's been a hit but I forget about it is the "Mississippi Roast" on Pinterest. I know you've got some "highly selective" eaters at your house, and none of these may work. I'm sure any guest at your house is so happy to be with you they are not worried about what food is served!

    Sandy C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Shauna Niequist, and especially this book.

    Great quote and good reminder. I'm thankful it is fall, because I can start making soups again. We love 'em and they usually turn out well (I'm a soup-whisperer!)

    I was traveling, so I am late in joining the rejoicing for Carol Sue's health returning. Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quote and needed this quote. It reminds me to reach outside myself! Thank you for filling an empty space today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quote is awesome and has inspired me. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's new to me so Thanks DOnna. Very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Lovely quote and talented lady, too!
    My grandfather had beautiful penmanship. I have always wished I could do calligraphy. The next best thing is to know someone who does it. Thanks Donna!
    love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy J in WI10:34 AM

    Loved the website. Couldn't resist and bought the Buddy the Elf print. He is a favorite at our house :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. you didn't bin the lyrics to "snow" print! ....maybe you did i didn't click the link

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.