Saturday, May 07, 2016

Call the Midwives. Tenderness.

Happy Saturday,

Have you all been watching Call the Midwives?
Last weeks episode had me in tears...as usual.

"It is a mysterious place, the land of tears."

That quote, as you probably know is from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Sunday night a father was reading from The Little Prince on Call the Midwives; this is the portion the dad was reading,

You-you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of he stars I shall be living.  In one of them I shall be laughing.  And so it will be as if all the stars are laughing when you look at the sky at night,,,You-oniy you - will have the stars that can laugh.
Isn't that so beautiful?


And then the teen son of the Dr was sitting on the floor playing with his little sister.  The young son had 'tricked' his father into quitting smoking.  (and his mother too) The mom said she was going to get fat from all the cookies she was now eating and she joked to her son that she was going to need his money to buy new clothing.

He said, " You can have everything I have.  You are my world."

In our world of sadness and woe...
The innocence and sweetness that is portrayed on Call the Midwives touches me so.

And now that they are in the 60's....the music continues to change and be amazing!!!


Thanks BBC for making a sweet show!

Love
Donna




9 comments:

  1. Donna, I so agree. I love the show, and those two moments you mentioned were so sweet and tender. "The land of tears..." I'd forgotten where it was from. I think what I appreciate so much about the show is that they don't sugarcoat the hard realities of life and how flawed people are, but they also focus on people being kind, loving, dedicated, unselfish and hopeful. It's how I want to live in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Thanks, Donna.

    I need to watch this season, but can't view on PBS over here. I love this show, maybe I'll break down and order the DVD set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the show too ... but didn't know it was back! Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so totally agree with you! Wonderful show and we wait each week to see what wisdom it will bring into our lives. ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the show!! If you have the opportunity, Larkrise to Candleford is also amazing. It is available to stream via Amazon Prime and features some familiar faces from Downton and Midwives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, I still love this show. Tears fall shamelessly most every time I watch. For this episode I had to stop write down this conversation: "Is it something that comes to all mothers? That sacred bond between mother and child?"
    "Hard work makes a mother. We like to think something magical happens at birth, and to some it does. Real magic is keeping on when all you want to do is run." Knowing those who have struggled with postpartum depression, this quote really touched me.

    Then this one reminded me of the many children our friends are fostering and the baggage they sometimes carry in their young lives, "We don't choose to be unloved by those who don't love us. We don't choose to be abandoned. Shame will keep us in all kinds of prisons if we let it. And it will keep us from those we love and those who love us."

    How could I not love it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!!! That second quote really touched my heart too! Thank you for writing it down and sharing it here!!! *smooch

      Delete
  7. Had to check to see if you had talked about the most recent episode. Talk about one to have a body reaching for the Kleenex! Sister Mary Cynthia had me in tears... such a masterful portrayal of a victim of a violent act.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not an exaggeration: I cry buckets of tears in every episode. There is something so sacred about this confluence of, well the 'sacred and the profane', which, at its basest level, is reality. And then when the nuns chant the Daily Office I'm undone because those are the Psalm tunes we often use and the canticles we sing. It makes me SO weepy. My Episcopal Priest husband still isn't convinced to watch but I'm hoping this summer....

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.